DWC wonders why the national press uses Rep. Kristi Noem as the face of the Tea Party. Hmm... that would be a question for Fox News, since that seems to be the only national network that gives her the majority of her exposure outside South Dakota.
Rep. Noem may not be an official member of the Tea Party (she still hasn't crossed the hall to Rep. Bachmann's office to get a copy of that all-important caucus mission statementÂ so she can figure out what the Tea Party stands for), but with her fact-impervious hypergeneralizations, she sure sounds like one. On Fox News Tuesday, Rep. Noem challenged us to "Point to one policy that this president has enacted that has actually worked."
The South Dakota Democratic Party accepts the challenge and lists ten effective policies enacted by President Obama:
- Added 4.1 million private sector jobsÂ and seen 25 straight months of job growth.Â American Recovery Act.
- Rescued American auto industry, saving more than 1 million jobs and preventing the loss of over $96 billion in personal income as a result.Â Rescue loans to American Auto Industry.
- Repealed â€œDonâ€™t Ask, Donâ€™t Tell,â€ensuring that no one ever again has to lie about who they are to serve the country they love.Â Donâ€™t Ask, Donâ€™t Tell Repeal Act of 2010.
- Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act,Â making progress in a decades-long battle for women to get equal pay for equal work.Â Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act
- Provided 46 million seniors access to free preventive servicesÂ like annual wellness visits and health screenings .Affordable Care Act.Â
- Closed the Medicare â€œdoughnut hole,â€Â saving the average senior approximately $4,200 over the next 10 years.Â Affordable Care Act.Â
- Extended more benefits to National Guard membersÂ who have performed active service and allow education benefits to be transferred to family members.Â Post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Brought the war in Iraq to a responsible end. For the first time in nine years, there are no American troops fighting in Iraq.
- Doubled funding for Pell grants,Â making college more affordable for 9 million students a year.
- Established new fuel efficiency standardsÂ for cars and light trucks will nearly double fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025, savingÂ American families an estimated $1.7 trillion at the pump [SDDP, "Note to Noem: Challenge Accepted," 2012.04.18].
You can add to that summary a much longer list of accomplishments compiled by Dr. Robert P. Watson of Lynn University.
I suppose Rep. Noem can weasel out of her statement by saying that when she says "worked," she means... well, whatever she wants it to mean. But to suggest that not one policy that the President has enacted has produced its desired effect is an exercise in propaganda worthy of any Tea Party candidate.
A more useful question (and yes, Messrs. Varilek and Barth, please do ask!) would be, "How many policies has Rep. Kristi Noem voted for that have actually worked?" Or better yet, "How many policies has Rep. Kristi Noem voted for that have actually been enacted?"