Texas blogger Juanita Jean notes with dismay Senator John Thune's choices for subcommittee chairs on the Senate Commerce Committee that he chairs:
- Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security: Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), from a small state with no primary international airport.
- Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet: Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), from a state that ranks last in K-12 education quality and last in number of residents with Internet access.
- Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security: Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), who voted against regulating the subprime lending industry in November 2007 and has voted against helping us keep our own data secure against warrantless searches.
- Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard: Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who demurs on questions about climate change and the age of the Earth by saying, "I'm not a scientist, man."
- Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), whose 2013 government shutdown did permanent damage to scientific research and U.S. competitiveness.
- Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security: Sen. Deb Fischer (R-Neb.), from a state with no interaction with the merchant marine fleet.
Senator Thune obviously chooses his subcommittee chairs on something other than expertise.