While the fading and fallaciousÂ Dakota War College resorts to the usual name-calling and needling over one candidate's petition oopsie (the former is childish; the latter bears some mention), South Dakota Democratic Party Chair Ben Nesselhuf offers a few metrics on his party's performance over the past year:
- Record attendance at McGovern Day 2012
- Six-figure positive turnaround in fundraising (and remember: Dems have raised more per registered voter than Republicans!
- Nearly 66,000 SDDP email messages opened
- Facebook fans up by over 375% (though Republicans still have us beat in raw numbers, 1870 to 1389, a 1.35:1 ratio, better than the 1.26:1 edge the GOP holds over Dems in voter registration)
- Twitter followers tripled (though again, GOP edge, 1107 to 764, a 1.45:1 ratio)
South Dakota Dems are still playing catch up with the GOP (we have been since the Kneip era... or maybe since our 1938 pounding at the hands of Red-Scare Mundt?). Nesselhuf needs to spend April touring the state to persuade some Dems to file Independent for several more seats in the Legislature. But unlike the SDGOP's laggardly rookie recruit Tony PostÂ (whose name I don't have to make fun of to make my point), Nesselhuf is hustling hard to rouse his party for a hard campaign in November.