Thank you, Madville Times readers, for your enthusiastic response to my grassroots legislative project. On Christmas Day, I opened the comment section to your suggestions for practical bills for the 2014 session of the South Dakota Legislature. You've responded with a big bucket of good ideas on college tuition, physician retirement, public records, industrial hemp, and more!
You still have time to submit your legislative proposals. Review the comment section to my December 25 post, see if anyone else had your idea, then share your suggestions.
Now the comment section is sprawling, so here's how I'll proceed:
- On New Year's Day (Wednesday! 2014 already!), I'll pick five proposals that strike me as practical and good for South Dakota.
- By Friday, January 3, I'll put up a separate post on each proposal.
- We'll use the comment section under each proposal to discuss and refine each proposal into clear, workable language.
- Once we've reached rough consensus in the comment section, I'll prepare final bill text for each proposal and post that text in the comment section.
- By Friday, January 10, I will forward those bill texts to the majority and minority leaders in the Legislature: Senators Rave and Frerichs and Reps. Lust and Hunhoff. I will also send copies to my legislators from District 8: Reps. Parsley and Heinemann and newly appointed Senator Chuck Jones.